We use cookies to track visitor statistics and personalise adverts. This info is shared with Google. Only use the site if you agree to this. OK, I agree

Banstead Village

Banstead Woods

In the Middle Ages the woods belonged to the Lord of the Manor of Banstead. Villagers had no rights there, though some of them were under obligation to cut and carry timber for repairing cottages, firewood, etc. They might be allowed to graze pigs there on payment. From the 13th century much of the woods was fenced in as a Deer Park and a Hunting Lodge was built on the edge of the woods for the Kings who were the Lords of the Manor.

The woods in 1881 were offered for sale either as a housing estate or for a large mansion with extensive grounds. They were bought by the merchant banker, Francis Baring, who built his mansion in the middle of the woods.

In 1893 C H Garton bought the estate and occupied it until his death in 1934.

In 1939 the Mansion and its grounds became an Emergency Military Hospital and the remainder of the woods were requisitioned by the War Department as a military camp and later for a Prisoner of War camp.

In 1946 the Queen Elizabeth Hospital for Children was opened in the mansion, whilst the rest of the woods became vested in the Local Authority as Open Space for the public.
The Hospital closed in 1998.
Banstead Woods - House Banstead Woods - 1968.
Banstead Woods - Water tower Banstead Woods showing the water tower and the hospital wing. (March 1997)
Banstead Woods - Garden Sculpture Banstead Woods. Garden Sculpture of a boy and stag entwined. (March 1997) This sculpture is now miss...
Banstead Woods - Victorian Garden Banstead Woods - Victorian Garden. (March 1997)
Banstead Woods - Water garden Banstead Woods - Water Garden. (March 1997)
Banstead Woods - The original buildings Banstead Woods - The original buildings (March 1997)
Banstead Woods - The drive Banstead Woods - The entrance road to the hospital with the outbuildings of the walled garden on the...
Banstead Woods - Main hospital entrance Banstead Woods main hospital entrance with the long interconnecting passageway on the right. (March ...
Banstead Woods - Main hospital entrance Banstead Woods main hospital entrance with the water tower dominating the picture. (March 1997)
Banstead Woods - The walled garden Banstead Woods - The walled garden (March 1997)
Banstead Woods - The walled garden (2) Banstead Woods - The walled garden (March 1997)
Banstead Woods - The walled garden (3) Banstead Woods - The walled garden (March 1997)

Latest Pics

Banstead Village in 1904All Saints Banstead urgent repairsAll Saints Banstead and graveyardAll Saints Banstead Roof replacementBurgh Heath in 1909George Ford - Banstead teacher extraordinaireMore VE day celebrations in Ferndale Road!Ferndale Road - then and nowSection House rear of Banstead Police Station2017 Banstead May Queens